Thursday, March 4, 2010

A surprise for Mommy and Grantham

ANOTHER BLOG ABOUT ISAAC IS BELOW!

Grantham has turned into a huge football fan. For as long as I can remember he has always loved balls (even before he turned one). As soon as he had any cordination, he has kicked, thrown, and hit balls of all shapes and sizes. But lately he has decided that he LOVES football. He and his Papa (now known as Daddy but I can't get use to calling him that since he has been Papa to me since before Grantham was born) are always playing football, running, tackling, fumbling, scoring touchdowns and ending with a touchdown dance. But it has developed into a three year old obsession. I think it happened because of the Super Bowl (the Colts Daddy's favorite team made it this year and we threw a small party for the neighbors). Grantham was truely devistated when they lost. I have never seen a three year old so hurt by the lose of a game. It was shocking and heart wrenching all at the same time. Because of where we live, the lose was relived by our son for about a week. At first he would say he didn't like the Colts. Then he would say he never wanted to watch football again. And for a short time he didn't even want to play football with John. He was hurt by everyone else celebrating the lose of HIS team. John and I had been wondering what to get Grantham for his birthday when I came across this great football uniform that included a helmet. Hoping this would help put a positive spin on football we splurged and purchased the outfit on line. The day it arrived we also received a package from my mommy. I told Grantham "Nana sent you a package with some surprises for you like new clothes" He was so excited that he asked to bring the package inside as soon as we arrived home. Sure I said. I opened the door but as Grantham was dragging in the packages - my mom called, the noodles for lunch started boiling over and Isaac decided to cry. Needless to say it was not one of the greatest moments at our house. Grantham might have asked to open the package or maybe he just assumed that it was for him and he could open it (I am not really sure). But the next thing I know he is running into the kitchen with the biggest grin on his face yelling "It's a helmet Mommy" I must have over reacted when I said "What a helmet? You were suppose to open that package." because he start saying sorry and I don't want it ect. I felt horrible but honestly I was shocked that the outfit had arrived so quickly and that he was able to open the box so quickly/easily. When I finally hung up the phone, turned off the burner and calmed down, I apologized for over reacting and told Grantham that Daddy and I had meant the outfit/helmet to be a surprise for his birthday. Grantham graciously offered to have me put it away until his birthday, but after talking with John about the whole situation we decided to let him have an early birthday gift. That night when John came home we let Grantham open the box and try on his new football uniform. It turned out to be for the best - he loves the uniform and tells everyone he likes the colts "GO COLTS!" He could careless that they lost and proudly shows eveyone his new gift. It just reminds me that God uses everything for good!!! Our Proud Son showing off his new helmet! This is how he poised when I ask him to let me take a picture of him with his new helmet.

Showing off his muscles in his football uniform. Like father like son - I am pretty sure there are a few pictures of John like this when he was a little older than Grantham. Grantham may be a great football player but he is all heart!
I quick smile for Mommy and then back to growling and flexing his muscles. The helmet slept in his room with him for a few days before it found a place in the playroom. He really loved his surprise birthday gift.
Even though it is not quite Grantham's four year old birthday yet, I am going to write a few notes about who he has become over the past year (so I can remember for his scrapbook)
Grantham is full of energy and heart. Whether he is throwing a fit or loving on his brother or playing ball, everything he does he put every ounce of himself into it. Making one of his greatest strengths also one of his greatest challenges. He loves to ask deep questions about space, God, bad guys, or anything else that intrigues him that day. One of his favorite activities is "chasing bad guys." He can create a weapon out of anything (my favorite is an old poster that he tore and taped until he made it look like a sword). Grantham has an amazing memory. He will bring up something that John and I have completely forgotten about and ask questions about it OR talk about someone and describe them by what they wore a week ago. We are using that memory to teach him scripture (but he can learn and remember it so much faster than we can). He continues to amaze us daily with how quickly he learns and applies what he knows. He has started asking what specific words are and identifying them by their first and last letters (most of the time he is guessing but he does usually have the correct beginning and ending sounds). He can write most of his letters although some of them are hard to identify and he is frustrated by that. He enjoys watching TV (especially Super Why and Word World). He went to his first movie (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) right before Isaac was born and loved it. We sometimes have a special movie night at home complete with popcorn, m and ms and a full length kids movie. It is a big hit with him. Grantham also started school this year and loves it. His teachers often tell me how much they "love Grantham." (I can't wait for Parent/teacher conferences to see how he is really doing) Grantham continues to be VERY social. He loves to spend time with friends and will often asks me if he can play with someone "not in our family." He enjoys kids of all ages and always searches out a "friend" wherever we are. OUr biggest surprise has been how well he interacts with his baby brother (he says he wants 6 sisters and 4 more brothers). We often have to remind him of personal space when it comes to Isaac. He wants to show him everything and love on him constantly. If I say I need to do something or get something for Isaac, it is not uncommon for Grantham to get it or do it first. It is such a blessing! Grantham has moved from being a toddler to a little boy to a big brother. WOW time really does pass too quickly! I am so proud of how he has grown.

1 comment:

Whitledge Family said...

He looks absolutely adorable!! And Ruthy has a matching cheerleading uniform. Do we see Indy in our futures??!!