Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baptized by Fire, Well Fire Ants

I don't know if you can tell from the picture or not but Grantham was attacked by fire ants. For those of you who are not familiar with fire ants (or people like John who are non-believers in the scene in the new Indiana Jones movie). Here is what happened: Grantham was digging in a mulch pile near our garden when he stepped in an ant's nest. We have tried to teach him to stay out of their path but it was hard to see in the dark dirt (usually ant's nest look like a small pile of sand that has been dumped on top of the grass). He started running and fell saying ANTS! ANTS! John ran over to see what the commotion was about and started knocking the ants off of Grantham. All of this happened in just a few minutes, but if you can make out the picture, Grantham has at least thirty bites. Grantham was such a trooper (I have only had two bites but they burn for a few days, then form into puss pockets and finally scab over). Even after two weeks there are still signs of the "attack." Every time Grantham notices the small bumps on his feet, he ask John or me "Why did the ants do that?" When we try to explain that the ants were scared because he stepped on their house he says "I didn't mean to," or "they (the ants)shouldn't do that." John took the bites as an all out war against all the ants in our yard. I just pray that Grantham never has to go through this again!
On a lighter note, we are settling into the area and rain has brought with it cooler weather. The people here continue to be overly gracious and friendly. Hopefully we will be on more of a schedule soon.

5 comments:

Jones Family said...

Oh no! How sad! Those bites are terribly painful....and hopefully John has taken care of those meanies by now!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tabitha! Welcome to the world of blogging. It is addicting and fun! Also a great way to stay in touch with people. The ourfamilyfun account is our family blog. I try to update every few weeks. Sometimes life gets ahead of me. Your family looks great and I can't wait to read more!

Ej

Kara and Josh said...

Bless his heart. He will forever be afraid of ants, which is a good thing. You should post some pictures of your house, we would love to see your new place. Kara has her first football game tomorrow night, she is a little nervous. Have a great weekend, and tell Grantham we said hey.

Joshua Grover-David Patterson said...

Hope Grantham's feet have healed well! Mihret's particular menace at this point is new teeth and the night terrors we talked about. Both interrupt her sleep because she gets congested when she is teething! Thanks for the kind post/advice. She was very upset last night - calling out for me but not waking up, just screaming in her sleep -and I basically went in and rubbed her back and comforted her in a quiet/soothing voice. She did go right back to sleep.
Hope you were spared the bad weather from the hurricanes! Let us know how you are doing.
Love,
Kara - Josh- Mihret
(P.S. It was neat to see you have other friends named Kara and Josh! :) )

Tyler Truran said...

Hi I'm sure you don't remember me.... but I'm Tyler Truran from your 3rd grade class at Maple!I was looking for a picture from our 3rd grade class, for our letter for our favorite teacher in Elementary school. I picked you because you made studying, learning how to spell, and the basics so easy for me... i just want to thank you. if you are wondering, i am in high school as a freshman and it so fun! I am on the way to graduate with a honors, and so far so good :). i would like to hear from you.. and would like to know your address for the letter I'm am going to send you. you can contact me at Avondude521@aol.com.

hope to hear from you,

Tyler