Friday, May 28, 2010

My Thirty-something Birthday

Okay truth be told this blog will be more about Isaac than me:) For a very small few of you this will not be new news, for the rest of you sorry but sometimes we just choose to be private people about our family struggles (we love to share joys but we choose to learn through trials privately)! On with the blog . . . As you can see from the picture my birthday "cake" this year was a little disappointing. That could just be a reflection on the fact that my sweet husband is not a cook - but not this year. About five weeks ago, we found out that Isaac is allergic to diary, eggs and peanuts. How you ask? The child is only eight months old when did he eat these things? He hasn't. We had been struggling with a moderate case of eczema (dry skin) on Isaac's legs and face BUT one of the patches on his chin had developed into an open sore. John had tried all kinds of meds to help heal the sore but nothing seemed to be working. Being an allergist John thought it was probably an allergic reaction but I just thought he was reading allergies into his sons issues (if you work with people who have allergies all day, you see everything as allergies - my thoughts not John's). Anyway after a month with no luck healing Isaac's face I gave in and went to see one of the allergists John works with. She agree with John's diagnoses of allergies, prescribed some meds, and asked to skin test Isaac. I referred to John and he wanted to test him. Long story short, Isaac had a very strong reaction to diary and egg. This has required me to eliminate diary, egg and peanuts from my diet so that I could continue to nurse. So the above picture is a reflection of taking out egg, diary and nuts. Name brand Oreos are a safe food (we have since discovered a good number of recipes for making cakes, etc.) For me this is a memory I wanted to blog about, so I could remember my shock, people who were a huge support, and how far God has brought us. We do not know how severe Isaac's reaction will be once he is old enough to try these foods but for now we are not allowing him OR me to eat any of the allergic foods. We will re-evaluate as time goes on. For all you moms who are living with a food allergy - our hearts go out to you - even with all the positive changes to the food industries, life is not easy. My husband is learning first hand what his patients are going through when they are diagnosed with a food allergy. My favorite story: I had tried to buy some needed diaryfree, eggfree, nutfree products from three different grocery stores in town. Their reaction was all about the same ("what they make stuff like that" as they made a gagging face). So John had to go to a store here in town called Rainbow Grocery. It is a Vegan restaurant (that we have come to love). He came home with six different blocks of "cheese" for me to try. He was so excited that he found something I could eat; I think he bought entire store's supply of Vegan cheese. Needless to say, I cut all cheese type products out of my diet (soy/toff cheese does NOT smell nor taste anything like cheese) :) I have to warn you as you look at the pictures below - Isaac had been refusing to eat anything but breast milk. I gave him (what you are about to see) thinking he would just play with it as he has all other solid foods/baby foods. As you are about to witness, HE LOVED THE _______. Please don't look if you are in as much shock as I am that I allowed my second son sweets before his first birthday. I am afraid all my friends were telling me the truth when they smiled and said "ohh that will all change when you have your second child."
No that is not mud all over his faceThe left overs of Isaac's first experience with an Oreo cookie ;)
Happy and content . . . What do I tell people now when they ask "What have you been feeding that boy?" SHHH it is our little secret!

No comments: